Monday, July 20, 2009
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Session 7: In Which Halden Spends Quality Time With His Grandfather, And We Learn Our Lesson About Dark Magic Tunnels of Doom
- We sleep on the beach (with watches! to keep away dark forces of deathly doom!) to regain spells, etc.
- Third Watch: Aed & Janan hear a bizarre shriek. Aed wakes Stavros and Janan sneaks off to investigate.
- We hear the shriek again. (ohnoes!)
- Janan approaches the ocean and finally recognizes the sound, remembering that it is mating season for the eels of Gorzam.
- The following morning, Aed teleports us back to Xanadu.
- While arguing what to do about ded!Halden, we are noticed by guards, who, naturally, notify Sigrid of the crazy people carrying the prince's corpse!
- She is Not Pleased.
- Soern cannot revive Halden until the following day, for unspecified spell slot related reasons.
- Halden LIVVEEESS! But is not stumbling around in search of brains, only in search of beer.
- We then go to Gorzam in search of Blank (teleportation instead of tunnels being seen as the better part of magical travel).
- Uncle Grisby's Tavern!
- Uncle Grisby has no knowledge of Blank's current whereabouts.
- We know that Blank and Sebastian set out for Gorzam at the same time but on different ships. Blank & co. never arrived, but Sebastian did.
- We find this suspicious, and go talk to Sebastian.
- Apparently, according to Sebastian, Blank got distracted by something and said that he needed to go do something else.
- After some somewhat confusing discussion, we go off to the Pirate's Cove (with passwords provided by Sebastian) to rescue Antonio, one of Blank's Admirals and Sebastian's younger brother, from the bad!pirates (i.e., the probable rum smugglers who are not honest enough dishonest men to put their dishonest drinks on the honest black market! ...um...)
- Janan, forgetting about the passwords, attempts to charm his way in.
- This fails.
- In a way that should classify it as a total!fail (TM).
- Kheriim attacks one of the two guards, then Stavros attacks the other one, engaging us all in battle. One guard manages to call for assistance, so then we had to fight those too.
- We defeat them: yay us!, and decide to let them live if they promise to become honest fishmongers. (Why yes, Kheriim was the one to check their motives. However did you guess?)
- We then go to get Antonio from his cell with their admittedly coerced assistance.
- After locating Antonio, we also locate R(?what's his name?) the leader of these dread rum smugglers. Kheriim sends an elemental into his room to wake him up (really, with the way she summons these fire elemenatals, you'd think she and Janan would be better friends...) and after he is chased out of his bedroom by fire! we interrogate him.
- While talking, R says it doesn't matter if we kill him because "Don Maurice" will resurrect him.
- He refuses to answer any further questions so we decide to forcibly take him back to Xanadu.
Most Skaraavan women are actually "men," where "man" means someone who has been horribly subjugated for at least a year and then escaped on his own and killed at least three dread magic-eating birds with his bare hands.
"There is sprite at the end of the tunnel!"-Foole, to Artemis re: her thirst on the way to D&D
"THOSE are the shrieking toads. They always croak louder when they're about to feed..."-qwerty, re: cryptic comments between maggie and oddysey regarding what turns out to be the shrieking eels of gorzam
"You can't argue statistics with an angry mother."-foole & qwerty to oddysey re: her rational arguments against Sigrid's rage at Leif and everyone else
"I can be a pirate!" -Artemis, Kheriim
"You know, bondage is a good look on you."-me, Janan, to a shackled Antonio
"Oh!I know that game!"-Artemis, Kheriim, re: mind stab
"That's not a game."-foole, Aed
"It's an excellent game! Verrik children play it all the time!"-Artemis, Kheriim
"..This explains so much."-me, Janan
Friday, July 17, 2009
- Session starts with us outside the temple of Doom.
- Aed teleports us to Xanadu's docks. (Huzzah, we don't die of teleport failure!)
- Janan and Kheriim argue about stones' sentience.
- Elsewhere in the temple district, a Clockwork Bearverine gets loose and causes mayhem. Soern claims no knowledge of said beast.
- We find Sigrid fighting and destroying the clockwork bearverine.
- Sigrid is debriefed on the cup-getting venture.
- Sigrid holds a conference with Soern, Ghalib, Aed, and Stavros about the cup. Janan and Halden hit the bars. Leif and Kheriim do their things. (?)
The cup is only mentioned one other time in Ghalib's studies, and that in conjunction with the stone tablet we'd already found.
The tablet had been a gift to the empire. Pre-Harrid but still subjugated Skaraavan wanted a place to hide it and keep it safe.
- Soern fills the cup with gold, as referenced in one of the scraps of info Ghalib previously found, and asks its powers, limitations, and capabilities.
- The cryptic answer: "Life. Death. Prophecy."
- There is then an argument over who should bleed in the cup, to test that aspect. Ghalib is irritated by powerful adults acting sillier than his youngest daughters, and cuts his hand to provide the blood. Sigrid slices her arm open to see if drinking the silvery elixir will cure her. (It does.) Sigrid then bleeds a pint of blood into the cup, and uses the elixir to heal Gannen of a terrible magical injury (previously unknown of to most present). Gannen is all better! And the Heart of the Sea is no longer acting weird. Oddly, Gannen and Sigrid disappear for the next couple of hours.
- The next part of the session was spent arguing about what quest the 11th levels would take up next. Possible choices included searching for Blank (lost somewhere in Gorzam), searching for possible Harrid scouts in Xanadu, going to deal with the Harrid problem in Skaraavan, returning to explore more of the tomb of Ozymandias, researching the shadowy bird who talked to Leif, ...
- Aed, Kheriim, and Leif talk to Soern about the magical shadowy bird. From what Soern says about the power involved, etc., we are Holy Hells! Monala must be behind this! And promptly freak out.
- We then decide to search for Blank in Gorzam, but by way of the tomb of Ozymandias ( a sort of compromise).
- Going through the tunnels, we make it to the ice cave without problems, only some strange noises off in the distance.
- Then we are attacked! And we do furious battle with shadowy crystaline porqupine-like humanoids.
- Leif nearly dies. A LOT.
- Leif ends up hitting Janan and Aed with a buffed up explosive crossbow bolt and nearly kills them both. Janan and Aed are Not Happy.
- HALDEN GETS KILLED OH NOES!!! D:
- We are finally victorious, but Halden is DED. So we decide to go back to Xanadu quick as can be to get him resurrected.
Alession: God of Clockwork Beasts
Eliran: God of Sudden Death
Alanis: God of Not Actual Irony
Firing a ranged weapon through an ally's square is akin to attacking said ally. BAD LEIF.
We must now lobby for a cliched anime featuring time katanas. Because Time Katanas are More Awesome than you.
"ADVENTURER'S GUIDE FOR THE DUNGEON GUY!" -foole, re: craft (interior design)
"Katanas can freeze time!"-me
"No, no, they cut THROUGH time!"-foole
(re: discussion of why katanas are not as useful as western longswords and why anime style cleavage does not actually occur)
...distracted by time katanas. time passed. whoops.
"You appear on the docks. People give you some strange looks, but not too many, because people popping out of thin air is not the strangest thing to happen in Xanadu on a regular basis."-oddysey
"This is more of that verrik elitism, isn't it!"-me, Janan, re: kherriim's lack of respect for stones and/or earth elementals
"One of Soern's creatures got loose! Half moose, half platypus-"-Oddysey
(re: a clockwork bearverine getting loose in the temple district. Soern claims to have nothing to do with it.)
"Gannen! I have silvery elixir of awesome for you! Yes, it used to be my blood, but it's fine now!"-Artemis, Sigrid
- The party sets off on their two month trip to Khorl, the closest port to the Deathwastes, in which there is apparently a temple containing the magic cup we're looking for(according to the stone tablet & Stavros).
- While en route, Halden has his eighteenth birthday, and there is much
rum rejoicingrum and rejoicing.
- Janan convinces Halden to join him belowdecks. After they...entertained themselves and were on their way back up top, Janan notices the door to their room is magicked in some fashion. Halden does not care and goes on through. (sandwiches!) Nothing appears to happen to either Halden or Janan, so they decide to forget about it.
- Once they arrive in Khorl, Janan decides to go visit her mam's old brothel. The magic-users decline to come, instead hanging out with Aed in some tavern/inn as he studies the distant mountain in preparation for teleportation.
- The party landed in what turns out to be Zaz territory. Janan is noticed by a group of Zaz youngsters who attack as soon as they realize a Yarlz lad is in their midst. Stavros and Halden step in to help, and the battle ends with several dead thirteen-year-olds. (It's alright; they had it coming. They attacked us.)
- The non-magic-users make their way to the brothel. Janan visits with old friends and ends up mysteriously disappearing for a while. Stavros is intrigued by the brothel and Halden disappears (most un-mysteriously) for a while.
- Stavros and Halden meet back up with the magic-users, but there is still no Janan. Cue argument about looking for him, waiting for him, ditching him, etc.
- Janan shows up all "Ready to go?" and many people want to slap him.
- Aed teleports the group. We do not die! Or get split into many pieces across the lands! Huzzah!
- We arrive at the Rakshasa citadel, AKA the Temple of Elemental Evil (consencrated to Fire, Death, and EVIL)
- It appears most evil. We explore, but nothing exciting happens until we find an altar. Stavros' approach somehow triggers the opening of a secret door. Clearly, this means we must rush ahead into the dank dark tunnel of DOOM with nary a care.
- We come into a great big chamber with a ginormous chasm and a stone bridge connecting our side to the other side with an altar and the Magic Cup of Quest-Fullfillment.
- The magic-users are pragmatic and cautious, staying on the one side and making great plans. The non-magic-users are unsure what the words pragmatic and cautious mean, and blithely make their way across.
- Halden decides in his infinite wisdom that as this is a temple of fire, blood, and evil, that it would totally be the best plan to bleed into the magical cup. Luckily, this appears to do nothing besides create a silvery sort of substance.
- Aed decides in his infinite wisdom to use magic! to lift the cup up and transport it to the other side.
- We are then attacked by shadowy skeletons. Many of them. Clearly the timing of this was completely coincidental.
- Victory is ours, but we all suffer injury, particularly Stavros who finds himself rather near death. However, when he touches the cup, it heals him.
- We then chill outside the temple waiting for Aed to prep his teleport spell.
This party is rather polarized, but at least the two sides are even in number, even if the non-magic-users have to make do with an awesome npc rather than a third pc.
"It's like hobbits and birthdays, only with Russians and drinking!"-Qwerty, re: Halden's bday celebration
[re: discussion about Halden & his swift strike not being usable in sexual relations]
"It requires a weapon focus"-Artemis
"It has one. Longsword."-Artemis
"Not like that!" -Artemis
"But why is she cockblocking me?" -Boytoy, Halden, re: Kheriim's possessiveness
"The thing about humans you have to understand is that they do everything different. The one thing that is the same is that they do everything different." -Qwerty, Stavros
"I'm drunk. I'm Italian. It happens." -foole, re: suddenly emerging accent
"See, this is how you do this! You warn them, they go ahead and do it, and then later you go, ha ha! See! I told you so!" -Qwerty, Stavros, to Kheriim
"I do not see why I would not go with them. Khorl seems to be nice place?"-Qwerty, Stavros
"He was lost but now is found! Is like blind and wrenches."-Qwerty, Stavros, re: reappearance of missing Janan
Friday, July 10, 2009
This is Aed's most prized possession. In his quest to catalog all the gods of the realms, he records herein information on any Gods, Goddesses, and other Dieties he discovers or hears about.
Goddess of Time
Stern and humourless (boooring)
Deity of Truth, Beauty, And Love
Symbol: Hand holding a flower
Androgynous deity devoted to music and poetry
God of Craftmanship, Building, And Engineering
Labourers, craftsmen, and warriors
God of Conflict, Strife, and War/God of Fate and Chance
Symbol: Pair of dice
Most see him as a meddling trickster
Goddess of Nature And The Land/Goddess of Motherhood And Life
Symbol: Woman’s face made of leaves
Chief deity of the Denotholan pantheon
God of Science, Alchemy, And Magic
Symbol: Composite of magical and mathematical symbols
Maintains the laws governing the physical world
OTHER WEll KNOWN GODS
Once was normal dragon until he ascended
Rallonoch The Giving
Symbol: Number 8
Monotheistic god, followers think others are demons (maybe all demons are really gods…)
The Dead Gods
Nalos, Tayana, and Seron
“Killed” by the dramojh
The Rune Messiah
Symbol: Eye within an eye
Banished by the Verrik
NEWLY DISCOVERED GODS
Goddess of Not Really Irony
Symbol: Bouquet of spoons(but no knife)
God of Passion/God of Annoying Sigrid
Aka Halas Torstead
(Patron God for Halden)
God of Clockwork Beasts
Symbol: Turtle with a Gear for a shell (turtles are easier to draw than Bearverines)
God of Puppetry
Symbol: Face with googly eyes and a clown hat
Goddess of Finding Swords
Symbol: Sword inscribed with a question mark
Sister of Mixi and Wixi
Goddess of Sea Sickness
Symbol: Face with a hand over the mouth
God of Smiting Undead
Symbol: Cracked Skull
God of Suddenly Dying
Symbol: Tombstone being struck by lightning
(Patron God for Leif)
(Patron God for Leif)
God of Defeating Monala
Discovered by Paerk and Soern during the founding of the New Hora Quan
Goddess of Random Songs
Symbol: Die with musical notes for pips
(Patron goddess for Kheriim even though she doesn't believe)
God of Finding Goblets
Symbol: Chalice with a question mark
Brother of Bixi and Wixi
Goddess of Starting Random Fights
Symbol: Two clashing fists
(Patron Goddess for Janan)
God of Not Listening to the Verrik
Symbol: Face with hands to sides of head
God of Finding Islands Full Of Bees
Symbol: A bee on a field of waves
God of Keeping The Heart Of The Sea From Blowing Up
Symbol: A heart cracked down the middle with hands holding it together
God of Arguing Over Marching Order
Symbol: Series of footprints moving around one another
God of Shiny Things
God of Judgement In The Afterlife
Symbol: Balance weighing skulls
Not to be confused with Whit
God of Finding Staffs/Staves
Symbol: A staff bent into a question mark at the top
Brother of Mixi and Bixi
Goddess of Descending Into Dark Dungeon Tunnnels
Symbol: Stairs in front of a dark tunnel opening
Not to be confused with Wit
God of Not Being Eaten By The Harrid
Symbol: A chained beak
(Patron God for Stavros)